Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Modern and Postmodern Poetry Unit


If you are looking for a 2-week unit to do with your class to engage students with poetry, look no more:

http://upahk4.wixsite.com/poetry

This is a student-centered unit that focuses on student voice and choice in regards to reading and writing poetry. Students create their own portfolio and partake in a writer's workshop as well as a poetry slam. Keep in mind that this could take more than two weeks depending on how well your students are able to stay on task during class and how much prior experience they have with reading, writing and public speaking (especially with poetry).

While I created this site with 10th grade students in mind, it could be easily adapted for middle school or high school grades. It is also made with Iowa Core standards in mind, but the Iowa Core is fairly similar to the Common Core.

If you use any of the resources or lesson plans from my site, please let me know either in the comments below or through the contact page on my website. Since I am a pre-service teacher, I have not had the opportunity to try my two-week unit with real students.

I'd love to hear from you and receive any feedback (positive or constructive) on my site. Or, if you've done a similar unit and have advice or tips on what worked well for you, please let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment